Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mock Mediation

I participated in a mock mediation that simulated a conflict between two faculty members.  I found the mediation framework to be a useful tool.  Often as a teacher I find myself in a position to mediate conflict between students, and having a set structure to regulate the process would save time and increase accountability to decisions made.  Based on the mock experience, I believe the structured format also decreases the tendency of a more aggressive party to attempt to dominate the conversation.  I found myself considering the next steps of this process, i.e. the follow-up with teachers and the method of archiving and tracking such documentation. 
My primary realization during the mock mediation process was that it is impossible to duplicate the environment of a true mediation.  This mock event was patterned after an actual conflict from my campus experiences of the past, and I know that the emotional component of the conflict was significant.  What I feel this experience did not prepare me for is the de-escalation of hostility at the outset of the mediation.  When personal feelings of pride, embarrassment, degradation, or devaluation stem from a conflict, it both raises the stakes and magnifies the challenges of finding an equitable solution that repairs an effective collegial relationship.  I do believe that working to build empathy for an opposing perspective through the use of  “I statements” and role reversal create a foundation for finding those areas of consensus and problem-solving.  
A school environment is one rife for conflict:  the various wants and perspectives of such a broad base of stakeholders almost ensure that not all waters will flow calmly.  I agree that prevention is vital, through the establishment of clear goals, expectations, and group norms.  However, this will not ensure that no conflict will arise.  I have seen first-hand in my career how an administrator’s intervention in conflict can affect the overall culture of a school:  the importance of effective mediation of conflict cannot be overstated.  This structure, which calls for direct dialogue, active listening to opposing parties, and a functional plan for resolution, creates a culture of collaboration over conflict, a standard that any administrator would do well to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment