Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Student Speech in Discussion Groups: The Safety Net of the Limited Forum

Recently I completed a second round of professional development for use of the Moodle online course platform, which included a segment on developing discussion forums as part of the coursework. It is an amazing interface between teacher and students where students can receive resources, submit assignments, and share ideas with their peers. Throughout the training, however, I found myself considering issues of student speech and of my role in balancing student rights and an appropriate student learning environment. Prior to my coursework in school law, I would not have given such issues more than brief consideration. Now I realize that this area is still a battleground for determining boundaries for school accountability and student freedom, and those of us who jump into the breach must keep our eyes on that constantly moving target. In particular, the concept of ‘open’ vs. ‘limited’ forum is a vital one, addressed in the Supreme Court decision in Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (1988). As I work to develop discussion groups in my coursework, this decision guides me in framing the expectations for my students in this limited classroom forum. In her book, Cyber Law, Aimee Bissonette underscores the need for proactive steps to alleviate problems with inappropriate student online conduct before it starts: “Schools need to draft and enforce school policies regarding appropriate conduct on campus. In fact, such policies are critical for schools that do not want to be held liable for inappropriate use of the school Internet system.” (Bissonette, 2009, p. 25) I realize that because my campus has not previously utilized online discussion forums with students, I will be trailblazing this new area of technology integration. My successes, and failures, in maintaining a healthy, respectful online classroom environment will set the path for many of my colleagues.

Works Cited:
Bissonette, A. (2009). Cyber law: maximizing saftey and minimizing risk in classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, 484 U.S. 260 (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment